The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology has established, and continues to grow, a long-term network of soil moisture monitoring stations for the United Kingdom, with funding from the Natural Environment Research Council. The network provides near-real time soil moisture data for use in a variety of applications including farming, water resources, flood forecasting and land-surface modelling. Each station is equipped with an instrument that uses cosmic-rays to sense soil moisture over an area of about 12 hectares (about 30 acres). Data from the network have the potential to transform the way that we understand and model the natural environment.
Resources are provided on this website to enable you to:
- View the live data feed from each of our COSMOS-UK monitoring sites;
- See a list of our monitoring sites;
- Read about the science enabled by COSMOS-UK;
- Request data and information products from our network;
- Learn about soil, the importance of soil moisture and the instruments used to measure it;
- View and download the video and print media produced by COSMOS-UK;
Use the link at the bottom of this page to contact us regarding ideas, opportunities and proposals for research and development based on the COSMOS-UK data and network.
Data from the COSMOS-UK network up to the end of 2016 are available for download from the CEH Environmental Information Data Centre (EIDC) here.
Stay in touch with COSMOS-UK on Twitter: @CosmosCEH